Sunday, March 28, 2010

Better late than never?

I finally finished the pants that I wanted to make in December... I thought that joining this sewing group would give me a good push to actually make the pants but I spent most of the two months of pants making muslins! Thanks for the inspiration. :) Thanks to Barbara, I learned how to recognize when I need a flat seat alteration. And thanks to unpredictable New England weather, I got to wear my new lined wool pants last week because it was cold and snowy enough to do so!

These are Burda Magazine's 07-2009-102. The left pair and center pair are gray stretch wool, and the right pair is black stretch wool that looks and behaves like a doubleknit.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sewing Along

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you all for participating (either by sewing or following) in the sew along. It's wonderful to have people share in this adventure and I am glad that you chose to join. I hope that everyone managed to make progress on sewing some pants. I managed to finish only two pair of pants: KS 3384 and S2860. I made three additional pairs, but they were all wadders and will be donated.

If you would like to continue posting updates to this blog, please feel free to do so. I will probably change the name so that sounds less binding. =)

I enjoyed reading all of our your posts! Thank you again for participating.

Be well,

L~

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Finished on January 30th

As I mentioned before, I had committed to making three more pairs of pants in January for the Pants Challenge. Well, I only got one pair finished, that's sewing life for you. I finished the wool blend tweed pair last night after a little tweaking, serging each seam, lining, hemming and doing the buttonholes. It was a slow process for some reason, but I am very satisfied with the pants, fit and all. I ended up with only a minute amount of wrinkling on the left side. The pants feel really good wearing and sitting and the lining makes for ease in pulling them on. This is officially my TNT pants pattern now. Although I really do not mine all of my pants being the same style, I think I will give Simplicity 2700 another go just to try and conquer the contoured waistband. (I do hate for something to lick me.)

I took a picture of my hem showing my hem tape. My friend asked me why I use it. I know that it's not absolutely necessary, but I after I've made something that I think is special I like to add this little touch. Yes, nobody knows it's there except me, but that just adds to the specialness - you know what I mean I'm sure.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Burda 1/2006-108




Woohoo! I made it! Today is the last day of the month and I finished the wearable muslin I intended to.
No seam was serged to make it quicker.
I used half of a duvet cover to make the pants.




It is obvious I should have made the flat bottom alteration. Now I know I need to do that right away. Should I add the back pockets?
I like the pattern and think I'm going to wear these pants a lot when it gets warmer.

I am so glad I took this challenge! I learned things and achieved a certain degreee of perfection in pants making (to be improved some more). The major breakthrough was realizing what form flatters my shape, and also how to resolve the wrinkles in the back.
Thank you for the oportunity to be here and your suggestions and support!

Ciao!

Barbara

Sunday, January 24, 2010

S2860: Version 1

I finished the first pair of Simplicity 2860. My thoughts? Meh. I cut and sewed a straight 16 curvy. The legs were way too full and I had a lot of bunching at the front crotch. In the end, I ended up removing the fullness by taking larger seam allowances on both the in and out seams. Here is the result:


I think they're wearable, but I still need to do more work. The fabric is a nicely weighted wool blend. I think the weight of the fabric helps to hide the flaws in fitting.

Currently, I am working on another pair of pants from this pattern. This time, I am using a stretch suiting and will not use such large seam allowances.

L~

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Jeans muslin Burda 12/98-121



Finally a new muslin! I liked the picture but the muslin looks very different on me. Ugh, that's exactly the thing I should avoid - narrow legs. I get accented saddlebags in these. There is a lot to do to fix the pattern.



The pants were too short so I added e few centimeters. I should have done it proportionally across the whole leg. The result is the wrong placement of the knee. That should be changed, and olso the lower leg width. Maybe I should start adding width a bit above the knee to get a nicer line?



The back should be taken in a lot. Then, I don't know if to lower the front or add 1,5 cm to the back to even them before I add the waistband. What do you think? Also, the back pockets should be placed lower.



And, of course, there is also the need for a flat bottom alteration.
So, I don't know if I'm going to make it by the end of the month. Will try, though.
I also cut another lounge pants muslin and think I'm going to sew that first.
Until then I wish you happy sewing!

Ciao!
Barbara

Saturday, January 16, 2010

MOP #2

Here is my second pant for the sew-along, I used the same Kwiksew pattern but with little modification. I added 5/8" to the sides,  used a stretchy fabric and viola...  got the right fit. I really love theseversion better than the first one, very comfortable and fits perfectly ....Here are some pixs..Please check out  my blog for more pictures....






With simplicity 4079 vest

Wish you all a lovely weekend
Aminat