Monday, December 14, 2009

Another pair of S2860


Faye asked what I meant about "scooping out" the back crotch curve. The key is the angle about the scoop. It's the only change I hadn't tried before and look at the incredible fit I got. I tried it on a pair I made previously and it made an incredible difference.


Yesterday I started another of slacks using S2860. I finished them up today and although I got the same great fit as the last pair, I don't like them as much. I needed a pair of solid black slacks and didn't have enough of anything in my stash. I picked up some polyester crepe from JoAnn's and quite frankly, I'm not in love with them. The fabric reminds me of plastic! I might post a picture tomorrow. In the meantime, I trimmed S2700. I found some kind of cotton blend in my stash that I plan on using. I compared the crotch curve to 2860 and altered it accordingly. Hopefully I'll get a chance to cut the fabric tomorrow and maybe started sewing Wednesday after work.

KMQ

3 comments:

  1. I will be giving that "scoop" a shot. This is such a wonderful learning process! I know what you mean about the feel of the fabric. The first pair I made feels like wood even though I prewashed it. Man o Man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I look at those drawings, the more I think the angle of the scoop makes total sense. The waist length can be preserved or even lengthened slightly (if needed) and the angle presents a better opportunity for the center back seam to follow the contours of the rear. What a great observation, Rachelle! I'm going to give this scoop a try, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've checked all of the sewing book including the Singer Sewing Reference Library and Pants for Real People and there is nothing like what I'm suggesting in them. For years I continued to try to lower the crotch curve in ways that never worked. When I had my "aha" moment a few days ago I was tickled pink! I can't wait to see if it works for somebody else.

    ReplyDelete