Friday, December 25, 2009

Revised Plan

Happy holidays to all!

School's been out for a week and I finally have had some consistent time to devote to my second pair of pants for the sew along. I set some pretty ambitious goals at the beginning of the month, but have since realized that I don't have it in me to see them through right now. After viewing Rachelle's comments about Simplicity 2700 and studying some reviews, I decided to tackle the fit of this pattern. I figure that if I concentrate on making this one pattern work, I can make lots of versions and then, if I wanted to, transfer any alterations to other Amazing Fit pants designs.

Yesterday, I spent the grand part of the day making muslins. The first muslin was made from a curvy 16 straight out of the envelope. The fit was so-so and prompted me to make a few alterations:
  • I removed 5 inches of length from the back in three paces (at and six inches above & below the lengthen/shorten line).
  • I made an angled scoop of the back crotch curve using Rahcelle's method and slightly lowered the crotch point.
  • I removed the same 5 inches of length from the front, except 1/2" of length was taken horizontally out of the pocket/zipper area. The pockets gaped open in the first muslin. The 1/2" reduction in length seems to have corrected this in the second muslin.
  • I didn't make any alterations to the front crotch curve.
  • I probably didn't need to do this, but I took out 1/2" length in the front yoke, pocket, and pocket lining just so that the dots and notches would match.
Overall, I think the second muslin looks really good. I didn't insert the zipper, so I'm not sure how it will affect the fit. I'll take and post some pictures soon.

Have a great day everyone!

L~

No comments:

Post a Comment