Thursday, December 10, 2009

Simplicity 3686



Here's the picture I promised. It's not one of my best but with the temperature only being 17 degrees, I'm not willing to venture outside for a better shot! I'm happy with the fit of this pattern. I didn't make a muslin and while the envelope describes them as wide leg they should have said palazzo width. The finished wide is 31" so beware. I think 13 pattern pieces is kind of ridiculous for a pair of pants so I eliminated a few. It's kind of funny that the finished zipper is only about 5" long and speaking of the zipper...I didn't cut a separate fly but rather laid the fly on the front pattern piece overlapping the seams lines and cut. I didn't use the directions for inserting the zipper or the underlap. I channeled my inner Sinatra and did it my way! For the front yoke and pocket I didn't cut it out of lining fabric and eliminated the front yoke piece altogether. It took me about five hours to make these pants and that included cutting them out. Would I sew them again?? I don't know. They are very trendy and this style may not be around for long.

5 comments:

  1. Wide yes, but a wonderfully trendy addition to your fall/winter wardrobe. Love the look with the pink blouse - did you make that too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Faye I made the blouse, it's McCalls 5471.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pants, Rachelle! You're right, though, they are pretty wide. When I get to this pattern, I'll try to take out some of the width. I made KS 3384 work, so maybe I'll have some luck with this one.

    Love the blouse. You'll help me fit M5471?! Great, thanks! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you look great in these pants!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pants look awesome and perfect with the pink blouse.

    ReplyDelete